Monday, February 14, 2011

Monthly Single Awareness Day Rant

Sorry that my first rant comes so soon, but I have history with this one: Valentine's Day.

I have 2 major bones to pick with this "O Sacred" of holidays.

First, the story of this holiday is anything but romantic.  St. Valentine was a clergy member in Rome.  He had helped Christians that had been persecuted during the reign of Claudius II.  While helping some of these persecuted Christians, Valentine was captured by the Romans and imprisoned.  While in prison, Valentine began correspondence with a young women.  She was troubled by how such a good man could be in prison.  Through the small window in his cell, Valentine talked with this women and eventually led her to faith.  Contrary to many people's assumptions, this relationship was not romantic.  This conversation between Valentine and the young lady continued until she fell ill.  Yet, the correspondence did not stop.  Valentine and the young woman continued to write to one another through a messenger.  The legend goes that she never knew his name until the last letter he ever wrote.  On the day he was executed, Valentine signed the final letter with his name: "Your Valentine."  St. Valentine was executed on February 14.  The way that this holiday became associated with love is due to the roman festival of love that occurred around the same time.  Boys would choose a girl's name out of a jar and would then do something to woo the girl.  This eventually degraded into a celebration of lust in our modern culture.

My second bone to pick has to do with my own personal history with this ever so popular holiday.  I must admit something that everyone will probably say "Ya, that's common."   I have never had a girlfriend on Valentine's Day.  While all of my friends have coupled up, I am stuck being the 3rd/5th/7th wheel on Valentine's Day.   As much as this hurts, it's worse when you look at what happens before V-Day.  Out of the 10 years I have been interested in having a girlfriend on Valentine's Day, my "significant other"s and I have broken up within 2 weeks of Valentine's Day 6 times.  Out of the 4 remaining, 3 I was too busy and 1 I just didn't care. (I used to be pretty jaded.)  I have never had a good Valentine's Day... EVER.  Sorry for the downer, but I am sick and tired of couples and advertisers telling me that I am supposed to be in a relationship when I either just got done with being in one, or am finally (for once in my life) content with being single.  Sorry for the rant, but i had to get that out.


Quibbling Quandaries:
Why do professors think they are being funny when they assign major papers all together on the same week?
Is Diet Pop really healthier for you than Regular?
How did the lump that our heart looks like turn into the "heart" shape that we have today?
What is your favorite game to play with friends?


Interesting Illuminations:
When you still have feelings for someone, how long do you wait to tell them?
- It depends on the person telling and the timing for the person that it is about.
When you have a wonderful moment of "open mouth, insert foot" do you honestly tell the people involved, or try to wait and see what develops?
- I am still up in the air about this one.
What do you do when a friend gets between you and your significant other?
- The first question is: How are they doing it?  Then act accordingly.  Don't let a good thing go just because a friend has reservations.  But, don't blow him/her off.  S/he might have a good point.
When is it okay to lie to a friend?
- I struggle to say yes to this one.  But, If they are a friend, they will take the truth, even when it hurts.
Is a massive cover up okay to protect a friend?
- I don't like doing it, and I don't want to be put in the position to do it.  That is the only answer I will give here.

No comments:

Post a Comment