Wednesday, June 15, 2011

And now Russia! Song of the Day included.

Hi all!  Well, I have finally passed the drama of the ridiculous flight schedule and i am now on my final approach for my trip to Russia.  I depart Chicago in less than 12 hours from posting.  I hope to take a lot of pictures and see if I can post some on here. 
Here is the next Song of the Day.  This one is by Iyaz, called "Replay."  Yes, this song was one of the overplayed popular songs of the past 3 months.  But it has since fallen by the wayside, as many things do in our drug culture infused music industry.  The thing in this song that piqued my interest is that this is actually a relatively wholesome love song!  He has the intention of marriage, he does things for her and is willing to sacrifice, and even has periods of doubt that make this song a human portrayal of love in a fine form.  The only issue I take with this song is the name "Shorty" that he has for his beloved.  I have no problem with nicknames, but this was a derogatory term used toward women.  How can he think that it is okay for him to pass this off as something nonchalant?  This objectifying term, and indeed his tone throughout the song, give the impression that this is all done for his benefit and his infatuation.

This song has been in my head lately because of a personal issue I have.  I have feelings for a beautiful, young woman.  But these feelings are unrequited and have brought out my poetic side.  I look forward to the hope that the possibility of marriage is still there.  However, I will have to keep these feelings bottled up until either she seems that she would be receptive of my advances, or until I finally do something stupid and go down in a blaze of glory. : /  

Anywho, here is a little something to tide you over until I can get on next.  It is by a Latvian-born Russian pop star.  His name is Vitas and has a range that would make most opera singers jealous.  I present "The Star."  A translation of the lyrics are included under the video.


So many times I asked myself
What for I was born into this world and grew up
And why the clouds float and rains pour
You shouldn't expect anything for yourself in this world

I would fly up to the clouds but I have no wings
That starlight lures me from afar
But it's hard to reach the star though the goal is close at hand
And I don't know if I 'll have enough strength for the throw

I'll wait just a little bit more
And then will get ready for my journey


Towards the Dream and Hope
Oh my star, please don't burn out, just wait!

How many paths do I have to go by?
How many peaks should I conquer to find my own self?
How long should I keep falling from the cliff?
How many times should I start from the beginning and is there any sense to it?

I'll wait just a little bit more
And then will get ready for my journey
Towards the Dream and Hope
Oh my star, please don't burn out, just waït!

1 comment: